The Alaska Native Epidemiology Center offers training workshops to build skills in core public health competencies. We also organize and sponsor public health conferences in Alaska. We provide experiential learning opportunities for students through internships, practicum placements, and mentorship opportunities.
Training & Conferences
June 3-4 or 6-7, 2019
This two-day training will cover survey design topics including what questions should be asked, choosing the format and writing questions to generate actionable data, identifying the best administration mode, and improving response rates.
July 24-25, 2019
This workshop will be a follow-up to last year’s Grant Management workshop. Anyone involved in grant-related financial actions will benefit from this course which will cover cost principles throughout the grants lifecycle, including budget development and review, spending decisions, and site visits and audits.
Flyer | Registration to come
This 25 minute video will share information on how to respectfully conduct a community health assessment in Alaska Native communities, including building relationships, planning the assessment, analyzing the information collected, and using assessment results to strategize changes to improve community health.
The biennial conference provides opportunities to learn about new and emerging issues in maternal and child health and immunization in Alaska. Rural and urban Alaska health professionals come together to learn about best practices and much more. Past conference presentations are archived on the website.
The EpiCenter runs several training workshops each year. Past topics have included program evaluation, grants management, health literacy, and many more. We provide scholarships to Alaska Native professionals and students to help build capacity in the Alaska Tribal Health System.
Materials from past conferences can be found here:
External Resources & Opportunities
- UAA Department of Health Sciences
- Della Keats Health Sciences Summer Program
- ANTHC Scholarship Program
- Indian Health Service (IHS) Scholarship Program
- CDC Public Health Associate Program
- National Institutes of Health (NIH) Undergraduate Scholarship Program
- Council of State & Territorial Epidemiologists Applied Epidemiology Fellowship
- Substance Abuse & Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) Internship Program
- University of Michigan Future Public Health Leaders Program
- Oak Ridge Institute for Science & Education (ORISE) Internships, Scholarships & Fellowships
- Columbia University Summer Public Health Scholars Program
- Alaska Health Summit
- Alaska Tribal Conference on Environmental Management
- National Tribal Health Conference
- American Public Health Association Annual Meeting
- Job listings at ANTHC
- Job listings at TEC
- Careers at Alaska Health & Social Services
- American Public Health Association CareerMart